Saturday, October 10, 2009

Birthday Party

Today is my birthday. My friend Leslie made me this birthday cake and we had a small party with a few friends. It was really nice to be able to spend the day with friends and with my little family. I am very grateful for them and for my family back home that has sent their birthday wishes in many different ways.

For my birthday party I made a hot wassail drink that was the best that I've ever made it (a combination of the recipe I got from my friend Liz and one I got from a fall cooking magazine I got a couple of years ago) so I am going to record the recipe now so I don't lose or forget it. It is a great recipe for a group of people in the fall or winter time.

Hot Wassail

1/2 gallon apple cider
1/2 gallon apple juice
1 can orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
3 cinnamon sticks
1/4 tsp whole allspice
1/4 tsp whole cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix the apple cider, apple juice, orange juice concentrate, lemon juice, and maple syrup in a large crock pot. Put all of the spices in a cotton teabag, then put the bag into the crock pot. Heat the mixture on high for approximately three hours, then turn to low or warm to cool it enough to serve. You can remove the spices if you wish when it reaches a flavor that you like or leave them the entire time.

3 comments:

  1. Hey just so you know, you have Captain hooked on this stuff. I'm going out to day to get cider so we can have some tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay wassail! I haven't had any yet this year. This year has really sucked for the most part. Oh well there's still time.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY by the way. I did think of you on Saturday, but the weekend just got away from me.
    Today was Canadian Thanksgiving and it reminded me again.

    ReplyDelete