Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Owen's Epic Birthday Celebration

Owen turned 5 this past Monday, but we didn't only celebrate on Monday. Since Bryce was leaving for a week-long camping trip with the young men from our ward Monday morning, we started celebrating on Sunday.  I made a simple birthday cake and tried to make it white with red writing, but my red turned pink and so, yes, my very boyish boy had a pink and white birthday cake.  We had him blow out his candles on Sunday, and then we gave him a gift that made his year.  His daddy gave him his first set of real Legos, and then they stayed up 3 hours past his bed time putting them together for the first time. I think they both enjoyed it.
Monday morning Owen got to have birthday cake for breakfast and then he got to play with Ella (top left below) most of the day.  I've been having a mother's helper each day this week - identical triplets Ella, Nora, and Vivian Wright.  They put together the puzzle that MayLynn gave Owen for his birthday, and also built two incarnations of Owen's first Lego set.
On Tuesday we made preparations for Owen's birthday party.  Nora (bottom left in the green from the picture above) got to spend the day with us.  She helped me plan the party and shop for party favors.  She also helped me start decorating birthday cake(s) #2.
These cakes turned out pretty well.  I baked a sheet cake, cut it in half and made a two-layered cake.  I then cut that cake into 15 pieces.  I took SweeTarts candies and matched the frosting to the candies.  I frosted the blocks and put the candy pieces on top to make individualized Lego brick cakes.

Owen had his birthday party this morning.  We had the Cannons, the Gages, and the Wrights over for cake & ice cream and a water fight.  The Lego cakes were a great hit, and the kids had fun choosing what color they wanted.  Owen once again had his day made as he received a couple of squirt guns and two more Lego sets from his friends.  The kids had tons of fun getting wet and after the party the fun didn't end, because Peter & Ben Cannon stayed to play with Vivian & Owen.
Now, after four days of birthday fun, I can officially announce that Owen is 5 years old!  We've had a whole lot of fun celebrating, but now it's time for life to return to normal.  I love my little boy and I look forward to many more birthdays to come.

1 comment:

  1. Those little cakes turned out adorable! Happy Birthday Owen.

    ReplyDelete