Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Marley & Me

Released - December 2008. 
First watched - September 2010. 
At this moment - one of my favorite movies.  
Synopsis:  A young married couple, just starting their careers decides to get a dog, Marley.  Marley is a nightmare.  He is spastic, eats everything, and hates thunderstorms.  Most sane people would get rid of a dog like him, but not Josh & Jennie.  He becomes part of their family.  The movie follows their careers, family and life while Marley is with them. 

Why do I love this movie?  Let me tell you a story.  An eight year old girl and her little brothers want a dog, so their parents take them to the pound where they find a very happy puppy.  She comes home with them and they love her despite the fact that she chews through everything, including the wiring on their dad's cars, she won't stay in a fenced yard, she hates cats, and is terribly afraid of gun shots and thunder.  Her name was Goldie and she was my dog.  Nearly every morning and afternoon for over 5 years I got to take her on walks.  I had to go looking for her when she ran away, clean up after her when she chewed things to bits, and love her.  I really think that during that time she was my best friend. I always felt safe when she was with me and I was never really alone.  I loved watching her chase rabbits, prarie dogs, and cats.  I know that she was often times a difficult dog to have, but I loved her and I missed her when she went away.  This movie reminded me of that special bond that can be forged between a dog and his/her owner.  They really can be more than just a pet, they can be part of your family.  Thank you Marley & Me for reminding me of my Goldie and the special friendship we had.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this movie a lot. I enjoyed how the family seemed real.

    ReplyDelete