Our family has had a tradition since Owen's first Halloween. We dressed him up in his Halloween costume and he and I took candy to the university (SUIC at that time) and handed out candy to the teachers and students in the theater department. Since then we have kept up the tradition. Every year I take whichever kids are home during the day, we dress up in our Halloween costumes, fill a bucket full of candy, and we go visit Bryce at work and hand out candy. We've called it reverse trick or treating.
Today River fully embraced her role in our annual reverse trick or treating ritual. She chased people - students, teachers, and staff alike - around the Browning Center at Weber State University giving everyone she saw a piece of candy, until her basket was empty. She told me afterwards that she had a lot of fun and wished that she had more candy to give to people. I know my other kids have enjoyed doing this in the past too, and I hope that in a small way it has given them the opportunity to experience the joy of giving at Halloween time - and not just focusing on what will fill their candy buckets later that evening. It has also helped me enjoy this holiday more and I find myself looking forward to bringing a piece of candy and a smile to others on Halloween.

No comments:
Post a Comment