I have a lot of fun decorating with frosting, and since Bryce doesn't like cake I get to have fun whenever I make sugar cookies. I am going to have my final piano lessons with Tyler & Kenley Broadbent tomorrow (since summer is here they are going to be moving to Evanston, WY next month) and I decided to make music cookies. So, once again here's an example of my creative side:
I tried to make the base frosting red, but it ended up a dark pink; however, after using a chocolate frosting as a base I was able to make my black really dark. I also discovered that I like the texture of frosting for decorating better with butter rather than margarine.

Those are adorable! I think the only time I've had the patience to do cookies like this is when I'm with you, thought now that i think about it, they may have been cupcakes.
ReplyDeleteThose look amazing! great job. I love them.
ReplyDeleteThe only way to get red - RED is to use a ton of coloring. A high quality color like Wilton Gel Color or AmeriColor. Just so you know.
ReplyDeleteCute Cookies.
My frosting:
ReplyDelete1 cube butter
1/2 cup solid pure vegetable shortening
1 lb bag Powdered sugar
1 tablespoon Meringue Powder (not really necessary)
1 tsp vanilla (or mor if you want. just subtract the extra vanilla from the water)
2 Tablespoons milk or water
beat butter, shortening and liquids together until fluffy. add powdered sugar. Beat until lite and fluffy (About 3 minutes)
This makes a stiff frosting (used for making stand up things like flowers)
For medium frosting (used for making pretty much every other decoration) add an additional 1 TBS of water.
For thin icing (best for fosting the body of the cake) add 2 TBS extra water.
to make it chocolate: Add 3/4 cup cocoa or three 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, melted, and an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons water to recipe. Mix until well blended.
There you go. Enjoy.